The most common symptoms of osteoarthritis are stiffness, lameness and pain. Stiffness and lameness are often particularly noticeable after a period of rest.
Joint pain associated with osteoarthritis can manifest itself in a number of ways, including moaning, restless sleep, changes in behaviour (including aggression) and reluctance to climb, jump and exercise.
Common treatment methods
- Weight control
- Activity modification
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
- Joint supplements
- Treatment with low-energy lasers: PowerCure Pro
With the PowerCure laser no medication is required. The treatment is safe and effective and provides lasting pain relief.
Therapeutic effects of low-energy lasers
Medical low-level laser therapy (LLLT) is a treatment method that is gaining in popularity. Using lasers, we can manage pain, swelling and inflammation throughout the body. By focusing on affected tissues at the cellular level, these Class 3B medical lasers trigger beneficial physiological activities to promote healing and repair – where and when it is needed most. This results in:
- Increased production of ATP (adenosine triphosphate)
- Increased cell metabolism
- Increased collagen production
- Increased enzyme production
- Increased protein synthesis
- Improved blood circulation
- Improved lymphatic flow and drainage
- Reduced inflammation
LLLT is a beneficial treatment in combination with other treatments for shoulder pain, regardless of the underlying condition. Whether your dog suffers from arthritis or is recovering from OCD surgery, LLLT can provide both pain relief and accelerated wound healing by reducing inflammation and encouraging cell regeneration. The PowerCure Pro is a handheld device that offers all the benefits of laser therapy for use in the comfort of your own home.
Benefits of PowerCure Pro low energy laser
- Accelerates healing and reduces chronic pain
- Reduces pain, inflammation and drug consumption
- Non-invasive and non-surgical treatment
- No side effects
- Clinically proven
- Simple and safe for home use
Please read the PowerCure Pro user manual carefully before performing a treatment. Always wear safety glasses when using your PowerCure Pro. Do not expose others in your environment to the laser beams when treating with PowerCure Pro.
Most dogs with osteoarthritis of the elbows can follow the following protocol. The exact placement of the PowerCure Pro depends on your pet’s condition and area of pain, but a general guideline is as follows:
- Outer forearm for 30 seconds
- Front of the forearm, at the crook of the arm, for 30 seconds
- Inside forearm for 30 seconds
- Go over each point 3 times and work up to holding the laser steady over each point for 60 seconds.
- For optimal results, repeat the treatment at least twice a day.
The effect varies, so keep using your PowerCure Pro. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.